Mary was the eldest of twelve children born in the beginning of the depression on September 21, 1929 to Rupert and Caroline (nee Modler) Szautner. Her mother had poor health and Mary played a motherly role to her siblings. She attended St. Francis School south of Muenster until Grade 8, with fond memories of school days where she formed many friendships. Mary worked for several local families as a hired helper and met Bernard while working for his relatives. She was a hard worker with lots of demand for her help. She moved to Saskatoon briefly to work at the San- itorium when she was 18, a big move for a country girl but she persevered. Mary and Bernard were married in 1952 and honeymooned in Niagara Falls. They spent the winter working in Ontario and returned home to the St. Gregor District to settle on the farm in the spring of 1953. Together they raised 9 children, farming for over 50 years, through good times and bad. They enjoyed an active social life; bowling, square dancing, celebrating life events with a large circle of friends. Church community was an important part of their lives and Mary was an active member of the CWL for 65 years. Never one to sit idle, Mary’s hobbies included sewing, gardening and baking.
St. Gregory Roman Catholic Cemetery Fund
P.O. Box 51, St. Gregor, SK S0K 3X0
St. Paul's Hospice
c/o St. Paul's Hospital 1702 - 20th Street Saskatoon, SK S7M 0Z9
STARS Air Ambulance Saskatoon Base
Hangar 21, 2475 Airport Road Saskatoon, SK S7L 1M4